Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Give me matte or give me death!

Lately I've been thinking about how much my preference in makeup has changed since I first starting wearing it.  I should probably clarify I don't count my pastel blue eye shadow phase in middle school or my super black eyeliner 'just-on-my-bottom-waterline-tyvm' phase.  I'm just counting the past few years that I've been interested in all aspects of makeup and my thirst for knowledge in learning new trends and new ways to apply things.  

I was probably about 20 or 21 when I started wearing makeup seriously.  It started with glittery eye shadows.  Holy crap if it had glitter in it I LOVED it.  At the time there were two finishes to eye shadows.  Glitter and everything else.  I didn't understand the concepts of frost or matte.  I didn't realize the different effects and looks I could get by combining different finishes!

Now that I've experimented with a lot more, I find myself really loving matte shadows.  The only problem is I find them to be more limited as far as the amount you get in palette's.  I have found some full matte palettes (shown below), and I LOVE them. 

I love all matte looks.  Eyes look soft and velvety.  The only complaint I have is matte shadows are a little harder to work with.  They're either to chalky or powdery.  I especially find them harder to blend out. I also want more vibrant colors.  Despite the problems though, they are still at the top of my finishes list (for now).

Here's a few of my favorite all matte palettes:

Back Row: BareMinerals A Vision in Velvet,
Middle Row L-R: Tarte Mattenificent, Too Faced Matte Eye,
Front Row L-R: Urban Decay Basics, Stila In the Know


A BareMinerals 'A Vision in Velvet'(not exactly a palette but whatever), Tarte's 'Mattenficient' palette, Too Faced 'Matte Eye' Palette, Stila 'In the Know', and Urban Decay 'Basics' Palette.


I also LOVE matte lips.  Like holy cannoli.  Kat Von D's Everlasting love lipstick has an AMAZING finish. I just wish I could get my hands on more colors!