Monday, April 21, 2014

BareMinerals Liquid Foundation Review!

I am super excited to do this review!  I've been testing BareMinerals new serum foundation for close to two weeks now so I feel I have a good handle on how it will perform.  There will be before/after pictures below but I think this review is worth the read if you have the time!









For reference, I have oily/oily combo skin.

Anyways, I am going to split this up into a review for the foundation and then a review for the brush.


Foundation:


In my opinion this foundation works best as a sheer/light foundation.  It is buildable, but it's a bit difficult to build it up and keep it looking super natural, but it can be done.  At most I think you can build it to a medium coverage.  


The finish is a lovely natural finish, which is perfect for summer coming up!  The foundation wore a good 8 hours on me, with it melting a little on my t-zone area, but that is very normal because I tend to get super oily.


The liquid itself was not as thin as I thought it would be, although it is still thinner than most liquid foundations.  It wears like a dream.  Like their powder foundations, you it's lightweight and you don't notice it.


I think for my personal preference, I'll use it as a light foundation in the summer for that added SPF when my acne break outs aren't too bad.


The Brush:


I had my reservations about this brush from the beginning.  It's oddly shaped and is actually a good idea, but in practice I found it a bit flawed.  


The biggest problem I have with it is cleaning it.  It's incredibly difficult to get down into the reservoir of the brush to get the liquid out of application.  I cleaned it several times and there is still a little foundation left.  I found that very annoying.  I'm trying to think of a way to get it super clean again.  If I think of anything I'll be sure to update.


The brush is actually pretty good for that first sheer application.  No streaky-ness!  Unfortunately, when I started to build up the coverage, it started to streak and it got pretty hard to blend.  You can still use the brush for building up the coverage, but be prepared to spend time to blend.


The brush has its pros and cons.  If you can't live the cons I listed, a sponge or possibly a flat top kabuki would work just as well.


Here are my before and after pictures.  The second photo just shows the foundation.  No concealer yet, so you can see how it looks after I built it up as much as I could.

And I know my skin has blemishes.  Please don't judge that!  At least it's a good marker for coverage.



*sigh* No makeup


Built up to medium coverage



Sorry about the weird color.  My husband had the flash on for before and turned it off for the after picture.

Anyways, as you can see, it can even out a lot of skin problems.  A bit of concealer and you wouldn't know I suffered from acne.  I'm very self conscious about my skin so the fact that it can be built up is very nice, but when I build it I'll probably use a different brush.  When I go for my sheer application the brush will be just fine.


You can get this at QVC now and other BareMinerals retailers starting May 1st I believe. 



UPDATE 5/12/2014

I've been using this foundation for over a month now and I have seen improvement in my skin!  My acne breakouts are a lot less frequent, and normally during finals time at school they are higher.  Also my skin seems more "alive"!  It's brighter and I've noticed that my dark marks are fading a bit.  The long term use of this foundation puts it ahead of others I've used so far as far as improving the skin underneath's quality. 



As you can see this is quite an improvement from the pictures above which were taken a month ago.  I just took these while reviewing another product.  You can read that here if you're interested.